Chapter 2: CAN’T MY ON-SITE IT PERSON HANDLE EVERYTHING MY BUSINESS NEEDS?
We get this question all the time. It’s a great question and once we uncover the pros and cons of using your on-site IT person, the benefits of utilizing our services quickly come to light. When it comes to on-site IT staff, there are usually two main issues that come up:
The IT person is always working with end users on day-to-day support. They don’t have time to work on big projects and long-term planning.
The IT person is busy keeping your infrastructure up-to-date, and they cannot devote the time needed to support end users on a daily basis.
In either situation, something is being left undone. The great thing about Marco’s Managed IT Services is that we can supplement either of those scenarios based on what your business needs. If you have day-to-day support covered, we can supply long-term planning that’ll support your business as it grows and scales. If you’re internal IT staff have the big picture pieces handled, we can take the day-to-day end-user support off of their plate. To figure out where our services fit your company the best, we look to your current IT staff to answer the following questions.
- What are their specific job duties?
- Is this that person’s core competency?
- Where are they spending most of their time?
- What would make their life and job easier and more productive?
When you bring Marco in, we’ll take a step back and look at your IT infrastructure from a very high-level view and assess any gaps. Are the biggest gaps in user support? Or are they in long-term planning and infrastructure development? You see, we don’t provide a one-size-fits-all solution. Instead, we look at the specifics of your company (including industry, vertical and size), and develop a service based on your needs.
- Many times, we’ll find that a business has a very competent IT person on staff. They would love to work with management on long-term planning and infrastructure for the IT growth of the company. However, they’re too busy every day supporting users and doing “help desk” style tasks (Issue #1 from before).
When that’s the case, Marco can come in and be the support team, which allows your in-house guru to focus on the big picture. Then, they’re able to call on us as a consultant when needed.
- Other times, we’ll find that the on-site IT person simply doesn’t have the knowledge or experience to take your company to the next level. They’re great at day-to-day support and helping out users when needed (Issue #2 from before). This is where we can come in and act as the IT Consultant, or “Virtual CTO,” for your management team. We’ll keep the infrastructure up-to-date and let your in-house staff manage the users and support.
- Or, if your company is lacking both, we can do both.