PDF … the universal file type. Anyone can view it; but that’s about all you can do with it, unless you have a smart PDF companion – like eCopy PDF Pro.
This document scanning and storage system turns standard scanning and storage capabilities into a full suite of PDF editing, creating and sharing tools. The exact thing you need to be effective with all the PDFs that cross your desk. This software enables you to do some pretty advanced editing:
- Convert PDF files into Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint® documents
- Identify form fields; convert to fillable form
- Search your PDF files
- Edit PDF files
- Assemble documents into one PDF file
- Secure document information
Let’s walk through each one now. You’ll be able to see how powerful the tool is, while remaining easy to use.
PDFs are simply an image of the original document – this is what allows them to be viewable by anyone, regardless of operating system, application or hardware they are viewing from. This is what also makes them difficult to edit.
If you do need to edit, you have two options. The first is to recreate the document from scratch. FYI – typing a typical 20 page, 6,000 word document takes about 2.5 hours for the average person. So, how much would that cost your organization?
Your second option is converting it via a document scanning and storage software. eCopy PDF Pro can recreate a PDF as an editable digital document (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) in less than two minutes. Let’s look at how to do this:
Convert to Microsoft® Word
- Open your PDF
- Click on the “Convert” icon and select “Word Document”
That’s it – your PDF document will be converted and then open in a Microsoft Word document, ready for you to edit.
Convert to Excel®
For this demo, I will walk you through how to convert a multi-page PDF file into a single Excel worksheet. The default is to create a separate worksheet for each page in the PDF, so we’ll change this setting first.
- Open PDF Converter Assistant program
- In this program, select “Spreadsheet” as your output type
- Under the “Create Sheet” options, select “Per Document”
- Close the program, and save when prompted
- Open your PDF in eCopy PDF Pro
- Click on the “Convert” icon and select “Excel Document”
Simple, right? Your converted file will open in Microsoft Excel when it is done processing.
eCopy PDF Pro is able to identify form fields in PDF files – which allows you to turn hard-copy forms into digital files. This often goes without saying, but digital files are easier to complete, and easier to read when completed. Companies can save, on average, $20 on labor per document by filing using electronic methods rather than filing and organizing paper forms. Here’s how it works:
- Open PDF with form fields
- Click on the “Forms” tab and select “FormTyper”
- The form will be converted within the PDF file; then you’ll be able to fill in the fields right within the PDF
Search & Find
Almost 80% of today’s information is paper-based. If that information is filed correctly, it still takes, on average, 10 minutes to retrieve and re-file a paper document. Once it is retrieved, it takes about 18 minutes to find what you are looking for in the document. eCopy PDF Pro significantly streamlines this process with its “looks like search” feature. Let’s look at the steps to search a document and highlight those findings:
- Open PDF
- Click on the “Comments” tab, then hover over “Text Markups” in the menu and select “Search and Markup”
- A search dialogue box will appear; select “Looks Like Search™ Pattern”
- Select from the drop down menu what you are searching for (i.e. E-mail address)
- Click “Search and Markup”
- A new dialogue box will appear; Make sure “Highlight” is selected as the “Markup Type”; Select all options in the box; Click “Markup Selected” to start your search
When you return to your document, all email addresses (in this example) will be highlighted, making your search much simpler.
The benefits and options available to edit PDFs are many. Rather than walking you through each one in words, I think you’ll get a better idea of what they are and how they look in action by watching this tutorial:
This feature allows you to create one PDF file from many different files (and file formats). Let’s look at how to combine a Word, PDF, PowerPoint, JPG and Excel file into one PDF:
- Open one of the files in eCopy PDF Pro
- Click the “View” tab and select “Page Assembly”
- A new tool bar will appear
- Open the rest of the documents you want to assemble, in any order you like. (eCopy PDF Pro will open each in a new tab in the “Page Assembly” window.)
- When all documents are opened, drag and drop the pages onto the first document you opened in the order you want them to appear.
A simple drag and drop function is all you need to combine multiple files into one PDF; say goodbye to collating and hello to all that time you’ll save!
Protect Sensitive Information / Redaction
The final feature I’m going to walk through is Redaction. This allows you to blackout and/or remove sensitive data from your documents very easily.
- Open file in eCopy PDF Pro
- Click on the “Redaction” icon and select “Mark Redaction”
- Highlight the copy in your document you would like to hide or remove
In 2006, over 70 million identities were lost due to the corporate mishandling of personal information, which has led to over $1 billion in reported losses. The cost of a data breach can vary widely, ranging from $90 to $305 per customer record, depending on how regulated your organization is. This feature can save you money by avoiding these mishaps, while also giving you credibility and keeping you in compliance.
This guide walks you through some of the most useful eCopy PDF Pro Office tools. Other things you can do inside this software include:
- Create PDF files from your scanner or multifunction printer
- Document Comparison
- Read to Audio
eCopy PDF Pro is an affordable, easy-to-use document scanning and storage system that can save you time, money and headaches. If you want to learn more or get started, connect with a print advisor: